Saturday, September 15, 2007

Settling in

Hello everyone! My name is Philip Williams and I am a first-year student at Hiram College. I wanted to first tell everyone a little bit about myself and the reason I chose to come to Hiram College. I also want to talk about the first several weeks retrospective.

I am 19 years old and from Bay Village, OH; a suburb of Cleveland. I graduated from Saint Ignatius High School in 2006. The reason I am a freshman this year is because I took a year off to do an Americorps service program. This program was a good experience for me, and it definitely prepared me for college. I chose to Hiram because it is a small school with personalized attention for the students. I also chose Hiram because I had the opportunity to visit here a lot last year being that my best friend David goes here. I did not chose it because he goes here, but since I got to visit so much and see how awesome it is. I really enjoy meeting all of the new people. I have met quite a few people so far. A lot of my floor mates and I have become good friends.

When we first got here, they made us go through this thing called institute week. It actually just consisted of 3 colloquium meetings and several activities encouraging us to get to know each other including: a square dance, a mentalist, a block party, and a beach party. Some of these activities were actually amusing, while others were downright lame. I met most of the friends I have made, by meeting them on my floor

This year I signed up to take the Mathematics of Gambling, Calculus 3 and Philosophy of Religion. These classes have been going well so far and I am enjoying for the most part. The classes are much more interesting than high school classes. I have found so far that the focus of each of these classes has made them more enjoyable for me. I am still in the mode of getting all of my homework done, but we will see if that methodology stays true through out the semester.

I know this is a short first post, but that is all I had time for today. I will hopefully get back into the swing of things coming up with a topic for each post. I will be posting at least once a week. Peace out

No comments: