Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Birthday!! Turned 20

So, last Saturday was my birthday. There was a whole week or so worth of festivities. It started out when I left Tuesday night to go home to visit. This of course means that I did in fact skip Campus day. We left around 8:30 making it to my friend David's house at around 9:15 to watch him get his hair cut, after driving into Ohio City on the west side of Cleveland. Driving past my high school with my best friend and girlfriend brought back memories of days of high school football games and scantron tests. As I reminisce , we get to his house and unload everything. We still had to go to my house but we were going to be taking the other car. When we got to my house my parents had made hamburgers and salad to eat because at that point we all wanted to eat something besides miller dining hall food. The burgers were delicious. I then got to open some birthday gifts even though it was before my birthday because I was at home and they were available. I got some sweet jackets and a new blanket for my bed. I was pretty excited about all of these gifts. When we got back to school the next night I really hadn't missed much besides a pulled fire alarm. I suppose I did miss campus day, but from what I heard it was a pretty good time.

The next birthday activity was that of my friends taking me out to dinner and bowling on Friday. We went to Ruby Tuesday in Aurora. This was one of the most disappointing experiences at a retaurant ever. The service was not only bad, but the food was mediocre as well. I was disappointed at the experience there, but the experience at bowling was great. We went over to Garrettsville to go bowling. We decided to play 2 games and I did pretty well in the first game. The second game I decided to just screw around, but my girlfriend's roommate, Karen, Bowled a 210! The guy in the lane a couple down from us who was a league bowler came down as she bowled her last frame. He exclaimed, "I just got beaten by a girl in open bowling!" This was pretty exciting for everyone. After that we went to Dairy Queen and had some delicious Blizzards.

The day of my birthday was pretty great. Not only did I get to wake up late, but my girlfriend took me out to breakfast. During the whole day I just kind of lounged around. In the afternoon we had ice cream cake and invited practically my whole floor to come and eat it with us. The ice cream cake was delicious and it was nice to have so many people to celebrate my birthday with. That night we drove up to see my high school's football game and enjoyed watching that. To top the birthday celebrations off we went to Chipotle and ate some tasty burritos.

The next afternoon, on Sunday, my family came out at took me to dinner in Aurora to Cafe Tandoor. It is delicious and flavorful Indian food that is pretty close to Hiram. We had a good time and it was nice to get to see my family again.

Overall my birthday experience at Hiram was awesome. I would say in comparison to what you get when you are at home it is a lot better. I feel like it was better because I really got to spend it with people I care about. It wasn't the typical birthday where you might get to see several friends, but it was a birthday that I got to celebrate with a lot of people on campus. It was also better because when you are away from home it seems like your parents try to make your birthday extra special by copming to visit you and also getting you thoughtful gifts that you will need to survive at school. I feel like this is a birthday experience that I will remember for a long time to come.

No comments: